Let’s get behind @Kidsinanewgroove and their mission to spread the power of music to youth in foster care. Check out their campaign to provide students who have worked very hard instruments of their very own! #goKINGgo http://ow.ly/RmiTh/
Did you know?
- Over 28,000 children in Texas are in foster care.
- Only half will graduate from high school and less than 3% of those will go on to earn a college degree.
- 25% of youth that age out of foster care will become homeless by the age of 25.
The odds are stacked against foster youth from the start, with their own families providing unsafe environments for the child to live. Children in foster care come from a background of either abuse or neglect, often a combination of both. These children often have trauma-related stress and a lack of trust for adults.
Kids in a New Groove’s mission is to provide Texas youth in foster care with a committed one-on-one mentoring relationship through weekly private music instruction, giving students the ability to build concrete strategies for lifelong success. Kids in a New Groove’s vision is that all Texas youth in foster care will have the tools and support they need to become successful individuals when they transition out of the foster care system.
Our life changing program seeks to change the grim statistics on youth in foster care. More than 20% of youth in foster care end up homeless and on the streets, and many more will be incarcerated within the first 2 years of leaving the system. At Kids in a New Groove, we have found that music mentorship can change these odds. Many of our graduating seniors go on to college, while other students in our program have life changing improvements in spite of being transferred between many different foster placements and group homes.
For more information about the organization, visit their website. http://kidsinanewgroove.org/
- New / Gently Used Instruments
- Gift Cards to Guitar Center, Amazon, or Strait Music (local) for Student Lesson Materials and Instruments
- Gift Cards to restaurants (Texas Roadhouse, Kerby Lane Café, etc.) for a Student Reward of Dinner with their Teacher/Mentor
- Office Depot - Program Needs/Office Supplies
- Online Donations are also an option. https://secure.affinipay.com/pages/king/donation
Your donations can help change their future for the better.